The Problem with Reusable Cups

As you know on many of my past posts I STRONGLY advocate for the use of reusable cups and I still stand by them. Although, I strongly support them, they are not perfect. Reusable cups are made out of plastic and are designed with the purpose of creating less plastic waste.

This is a product that has provided us with a lot of good because it is eliminating the amount of plastic waste that we produce each year, but as I mentioned before there are still flaws to a seemingly perfect invention. Although, the goal is to decrease the amount of plastic, there is still a HUGE amount being used to produce these products. It would be beneficial for companies that produce these products switch to an even more eco-friendly material.

Along with the overuse of plastic there are some other hidden problems that can come along with reusable cups. As an avid used of these types of cups, I have noticed a increase in the amount of mold present. I use these cups to drink water and it had never crossed my mind about exactly how dirty they can get. Over time I noticed the presence of mold on one of my cups and trust me I had washed it before. It seems as though it is easier for these cups to grow mold without us noticing because we don't realize that there are so many germs present.

To solve the problems I have identified, it is up to that companies that produce these products to find a more environmentally friendly solution. To prevent the growth of mold I would recommend being VERY diligent when it comes to washing these products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What if all products were eco-friendly?

Recycle vs Compost

Critique of Shailene Woodley